Update on Spring 2022 Courses
Happy New Year!
The SFSU open registration period for the Spring 2022 semester begins Thursday January 13, so I wanted to let you know about some great courses that are available to you. Seats remain in all of BECA's required core courses, as well as in sections of courses for each of the foundation areas.
A few seats remain in two face-to-face courses that give BECA students the opportunity to work with KTVU's Rosemary Orozco:
- BECA 350: Media Performance I (Thursday 1 to 3:45).
- BECA 560: Radio and Television News Writing (Wednesday 9:30 - 12:15).
- BECA 560 meets BECA's Media Writing foundation area requirement.
We opened a new asynchronous online section of BECA 321: Critical Study of Popular Culture with Professor Marie Drennan, which is now visible on the schedule. This is a UD-C GE course and also meets BECA's Media Theory & Criticism foundation area requirement.
Several excellent face-to-face elective courses that do not require prerequisites have seats remaining, including:
- BECA 485: Women and Media (Thursday 9:30 - 12:15). [GE: UD-C; SF State: Social Justice; American Ethnic & Racial Minorities]
- BECA 502: Environmental Communication on Electronic Media (Wednesday 1:00 - 3:45). Pulley [GE: UD-C; SF State: Environmental Sustainability; Social Justice]
- BECA 536: Creativity and Design Thinking in Electronic Media (Tuesday 9:30 - 12:15). Khani.
- BECA 594: Mobile Electronic Media (Monday & Wednesday 9:30 -10:45). Smith.
We also have seats remaining in several other elective courses that have prerequisites. Prerequisite are listed when you click on the course in the schedule. If you have questions about prerequisites, please send an email to the course instructor.
As I am sure you have heard, SFSU will be moving most of its classes to remote instruction for the first 3 weeks of the Spring semester. The department is submitting a few advanced production classes for special exemptions to permit them to be offered f2f at the beginning of the semester, but the majority of BECA faculty are working to arrange their schedules so the material covered in the first 3 weeks can be taught effectively through distance learning methods. The health of our students is a top priority for BECA faculty.
We look forward to sharing our exciting new facilities with our students when you return to campus on February!
Dr. Sami Reist (she/her)
Chair, Broadcast & Electronic Communication Arts
San Francisco State University (located on unceded Ramaytush Ohlone land)
1600 Holloway Ave
San Francisco, CA 94132