This program prepares critical citizens for a world in which people are inundated by media messages coming from every aspect of their lives. Whether it is news, social media or streaming television programs, there is a lot of information being sent to consumers, much of which is inaccurate information. This program will help students understand the impact of media technology, how media is created, why it is created, who creates the messages, and the impact of those messages on the individual and society as a whole.
All course work used to satisfy the requirements of the minor must be completed with a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the impact of technologies on media communication.
- Deconstruct messages for their meaning, purpose, accuracy and intent.
- Analyze the ways media constructs a social reality and the effects on its audiences.
- Identify how messages are created for social, political, economic, historic and aesthetic purposes.
- Apply media theory to the interpretation of messages by diverse audiences.
- Be conversant in the aesthetic and symbolic language of media.
Core Courses (9 units)
|BECA 201||Life on TV: A Critical View||3|
|BECA 301||Media Literacy in the Electronic Culture||3|
|BECA 422||Social Aspects of Electronic Media||3|
Electives (6 units)
Select any two electives from list below. Other BECA courses or media literacy courses from other departments may be substituted with approval from a BECA minor advisor:
|BECA 200||Introduction to Electronic Communication||3|
|BECA 235||Digital Media Basics||3|
|BECA 321||Critical Study of Popular Culture||3|
|BECA 324||Law and Regulation of Electronic Media||3|
|BECA 340||Media Aesthetics I||3|
|BECA 390||The Age of Information||3|
|BECA 460||Industry of Broadcast News||3|
|BECA 463||Ethics and Responsibility in the Electronic Media||3|
|BECA 487||Children and Television||3|
|BECA 488||Asian Media||3|
|BECA 490||Television and Social Change||3|
|BECA 500||International Broadcasting||3|
|BECA 502||Environmental Communication on Electronic Media||3|
|BECA 590||New Electronic Communication Technologies||3|
|BECA 594||Mobile Electronic Media||3|