Faculty Resources


Setting up Your Email and SF State ID

First, you'll need to make sure you have received your SF State ID number. You can look up your ID number to find out what it is or if need further assistance you can review some troubleshooting tips. Once you have your ID number, you can request to have an email created.

Office Assignments and Keys

BECA has a small number of rooms that are used as shared offices for GTAs and lecturers. The department’s office staff will contact you with information about your office assignment and phone number. A staff member will order any keys for you (including for your classroom if necessary), and you will be notified by e-mail about picking these up at the Facilities office. If you lose your key(s), please contact the staff.


Specific information about applying for faculty parking permits for the upcoming semester(s) will be distributed by e-mail through the College list-serv. If you have not had a parking permit before and would like to get one, contact the BECA academic office coordinator. If you will be on campus a limited number of days per week, you might consider purchasing daily permits. During the first four weeks of each semester, faculty may purchase daily permits at a much reduced rate by going in person to the Parking office on North State Drive. You will be asked to present your faculty ID, and they only accept personal checks as payment. Unfortunately, at this time, GTAs are not eligible for faculty parking permits.


If you will not hold a scheduled class meeting, please call the BECA Office (415-338-1787) and inform us. In the event that your class must be canceled, the office staff will post signs on the classroom door. If you have an office hour scheduled for that day, we will post a sign on your office door stating that you will not hold office hours that day. We also encourage faculty to e-mail their students to inform them of class cancellations.

Faculty and GTAs accrue sick leave credits for each month of employment. The full-time rate of accrual is eight hours a month, and accrual for part-time employees is prorated accordingly. If appropriate, the academic office coordinator will contact you with instructions about reporting your absence in the University’s online absence management system.


Enrollment and Grades

Enrollment management, including adding/dropping students and grading, is done entirely online through Class Services. Once your hiring paperwork has been processed and your name shows up on the class schedule as the instructor of record, you will have access to your course rosters, iLearn, etc., in Class Services. You can access Class Services through SF State Gateway. Familiarize yourself with the functions and capabilities of Class Services. Please plan to have access to your class rosters and permit numbers at your first class meeting. To be prepared to add students by permit number, if necessary, please study how this function works. You can give out permit numbers in person or e-mail them to students.

Note about classes offered through the College of Extended Learning: in Class Services, make sure you choose “Extended Learning” in the drop-down. This is where you need to be in order to view rosters, assign grades, etc. for students in courses that are supported by CEL (summer session; winter session; online certificate programs).

Periodically you will receive reminders about important enrollment-related deadlines. The chief deadline is known as the “census” deadline — enrollments at that point (usually four full weeks into the semester) are the basis for University budget/financing calculations. By this date, your online class roster should match your actual enrollment.

The deadline for entering grades is normally 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the semester. You will receive reminders. If you have trouble entering grades or if you miss the deadline, you must contact the AOC as soon as possible.

The office staff can assist you with any questions you may have regarding enrollment and grading issues.


Faculty instructions and access to iLearn are located online. Learn about more course technologies.


Order texts and other course materials online. You may also order texts by sending an e-mail to textbook@sfsu.edu. Try to place your orders for the next semester in a timely manner. Deadlines will be distributed frequently. Usually, the deadline for placing orders for the spring semester is October 15; for fall semester, April 15. 


BECA requires its faculty, including lecturers and GTAs, to submit student evaluations in order to benefit from the insights of students and so that the department can evaluate teaching effectiveness. This process will be conducted online. BECA also conducts peer evaluations of lecturers, including classroom visits and subsequent discussions about pedagogy and presentation, the goal being to provide lecturers with more detailed feedback and hence a roadmap for continued success in the classroom. Lecturers will be notified well in advance about setting up peer visits and will receive the resulting review letter. Review letters are forwarded to personnel files.

Office Hours

Each faculty member should post office hours and teaching schedules on his or her office door, supply the office manager with office hour information, and adhere strictly to the schedule posted. Part-time faculty are expected to maintain one office hour per week for each three-unit class.

Academic Calendar

Bookmark the online academic calendar for references to key dates and deadlines throughout the semester, as well as the final exam schedule for fall and spring semesters.

Forms and Petitions

Student forms and petitions are available online. All petitions require unofficial transcripts. Instruct students to deliver their petitions and unofficial transcripts to you, filled out and ready for your signature. The Registrar provides access to most student forms and petitions. The Division of Graduate Studies stores forms and petitions pertaining to graduate students.

Some of most frequently-used petitions for both graduate and undergraduate students are:

  • Report of Makeup of Incomplete: This petition is only to be used for assigning a grade when a student completes an incomplete. Instructors must enter grade changes in Class Services via the Grades roster. This petition must be submitted to the office in hard copy form.
  • Petition for Withdrawal from Course(s) or University: Students may present hard copy Withdrawal petitions to instructors, but instructors should enter withdrawals in Class Services via the Grades roster in Class Services, where the withdrawal request is subject to the chair’s approval electronically. Please note that a student’s record must be reviewed — if the student has already withdrawn from the course twice, s/he will not be permitted to withdraw, and you will need to assign a failing grade instead.
  • Independent Study (699 & 899): This petition will require signatures from both the Instructor and Dept. Chair. Although the form does not require the Dean’s signature, LCA Associate Dean requests all forms come through the office.
  • Waiver of College Regulations: This is the petition used for Late Add of Course, Retroactive Addition of Course for Previous Semester, Enroll in Course After Maximum Attempts, Change Grading Option, Switch Course Prefix, Section, or Number, Extension of Incomplete, or Late Application for Graduation. Signatures from the Instructor, Department Chair, and College Dean are required for all the above actions, except Late Application for Graduation. 
For additional questions regarding student petitions, forms, and requests, please visit the BECA Office.

Accessibility of Course Materials

The Accessible Technology Initiative (ATI), formed in December 2006 to ensure access to resources and technology to everyone on campus, requires that all course materials and content (including websites) be accessible to everyone involved by 2012. Please plan ahead and make sure all of your students are able to access your materials. View more information on ATI’s ACCESS project, along with additional information on SF State’s Instructional Media Accessibility, in conjunction with SF State’s Disability Programs and Resource Center and Academic Technology department.

Plagiarism Policy

The College of Liberal & Creative Arts website contains useful resources regarding plagiarism in the “For Faculty” area, including a policy statement that can be included on course syllabi, procedures and a form for reporting cases of plagiarism to the Department and College.

Credit/No Credit Grading Option

Students may take up to 30 percent of their courses for a grade of Credit or No Credit, instead of a letter grade. Students who want to exercise this option can do so online up to a certain date (the “CR/NC deadline”). If necessary, refer students to the office for instructions. Consult with the office staff if you have questions. You will not be notified if a student chooses the CR/NC grading option, but you can pull up this information in your roster.

Disappearing Students

Students who must stop attending after the University’s deadline for dropping a class may petition for an official withdrawal, resulting in a grade of for the course. If students stop attending your class and do not approach you about petitioning to withdraw, during the first three weeks of the semsters, you will have the ability to drop them from your instructor portal. If the three week period has elapsed, the normal grade options are NC, F, or WU. Refer to the SF State Bulletin for more information on grading symbols and their corresponding grade points.

Please consult with the BECA chair for advice if needed. It is of great assistance when instructors are aware of the major deadlines, particularly the deadline for dropping a class without getting a W grade. The School will also send e-mail reminders about important enrollment-related deadlines.

Students with Disabilities

The Disability Programs and Resource Center website provides information on accommodating students with disabilities, including assignment adjustments, test accommodations, electronic resources and classroom furniture.



Instructors are paid in six monthly installments per semester. The first installment for the fall semester is paid around the first day of October; the next four paychecks are paid around the first day of the months of November - February. The sixth is paid in the following summer. Instructors who do not return after the fall semester will receive the sixth installment in March. The six installments for the spring commence around the first day of March and continue monthly. 

Direct Deposit

Faculty are encouraged to take advantage of direct deposit to ensure timely delivery of pay. Application forms are available online and can be delivered directly to Human Resources in Administration 252, or to the academic office coordinator. Often, applications are not processed in time for to take effect for your next paycheck disbursement. Pay stubs are delivered to mailboxes around the first of each month. If you have applied for direct deposit, but you do not receive a pay stub in your mailbox, check at the desk in Creative Arts 251 to see if there is a paycheck waiting for you. If you do not have direct deposit, you must ask the attendant at the desk in Creative Arts 251 for your check each payday.

Address Changes

Notify the office manager if your address changes; you will receive instructions about how to change your address in the system.

SF State Gateway

SF State’s global login page is a portal to various self-service areas for faculty and staff. Explore the Faculty/Staff links to the left.


Faculty are reimbursed for expenditures in a wide variety of contexts. A few examples: for professional development, including travel; to use an allocation from the Instructionally Related Activities program for a class; for purchasing food or drink for a department event. In all cases, prior approval from the chair, or other similar notification is required. Regardless of the context, the following University procedures apply:

  • Receipts and invoices older than 90 days cannot be reimbursed. The University does not make exceptions to this policy, although travel is a slightly different situation, in that transport/lodging reservations can be made and paid for well in advance of actual travel. Receipts must be submitted within 30 days of the conclusion of the travel.
  • An itemization of expenses must be included, and if the receipt itself does not include this, please request itemization from the vendor.
  • Online purchases nearly always require accompanying proof of payment; in other words, the identity of the person who made payment must be clear. If the online receipt says that John Wayne ordered something, but does not indicate that payment by John Wayne was collected, then a credit card statement, or a printout of the transaction from the card activity must be included — and must also include a clear reference to John Wayne. Consult with the office manager about questions.
  • Items purchased with University funds must be delivered to the university. In other words, do not arrange for anything to be shipped to your home address if you will be reimbursed for it.

Please contact BECA's Budget Coordinator, Rachel Kerns if you have any questions regarding reimbursement paperwork, including all travel claims.


SF State-funded travel must be pre-approved by the BECA chair. International travel, in particular, requires as much advance notification as possible due to the requirement for University-purchased insurance and assessment. Request Authorization to Travel (or RAT) forms are available both on the BECA Faculty iLearn and on the main Fiscal Affairs site. The RAT form must be submitted to the department with supporting materials at least 10 days before the date of intended departure for approval. Upon return from the trip, a travel claim must be submitted within 30 days of the return date to the BECA Office. Travel claims (UCorp Claim and State-Side Claim) are dependent on the source of approved travel funds and both travel claim forms are available on the Fiscal Affairs and University Corp sites. Please contact BECA's Budget Coordinator, Rachel Kerns, if you have any questions. 

The complete CSU Travel Policy is available on their site. Other questions regarding travel funding may be directed to the BECA Chair or the Budget Coordinator.


College of Liberal & Creative Arts List-serv

Disseminates information by e-mail about conferences, scholarships, workshops, network alerts, building conditions (i.e. plumbing problems, fire alarms, etc.) and other matters of general interest to the College faculty and staff. We will forward your email address to the College so that you will be added to this listserve.

Guest Speakers

All guest speakers must be arranged for in advance. Contact both the chair and the office manager to request funding for a guest speaker and for guidance regarding logistics.

Lost and Found

Lost and Found is located in the Creative Arts Building. If you find a valuable item, bring it to the BECA office and we will send it to Lost and Found.


Delivered once daily. All faculty members have a mailbox located in the BECA Office. Please contact the AOC if you have not received a key for your assigned mail box. Replacements for lost or stolen mailbox keys are $5 per key. Outgoing University-related mail can be placed in the outbox in the office and will be picked up by the campus postal service once daily.


All copy requests are made through the BECA Office and require 24 hour advance notice. Small copy requests can be filled in the BECA office, as well as all scanning requests. Larger batches of 20 or more copies can be filled in Humanities 125, due to the expense. Please check with the office if you have any additional questions.


Supplies are available in the BECA Office. Please ask for assistance from the office staff.

Technical Support

BECA's facilities, including computer labs, Studios, and the KSFS Radio Station, are coordinated by Noelle Trinidad Taylor (BECA Office; CA 133). In Noelle's absence or at her suggestion, you may also contact the College’s facilities staff regarding issues that arise in all BECA facilities.