The Department of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts (BECA) offers advanced degrees in Electronic Communication Arts with a variety of specialization audio and video production topics. The M.A. program reflects a comprehensive view of the communication discipline with an integration of theory and practice.
- Media Aesthetics
- Audio and Video Production
- News and Documentary
- Interactive Media
- Communication Theory and Criticism
Degree requirements for the Master of Arts in BECA are available from the SF State Bulletin.
BECA Graduate Admissions
- Fall Admission Application Deadline: April 15th
- Spring Admission Application Deadline: October 15th
Graduate students are accepted to the BECA M.A. program twice a year, however the program is optimized for students who begin in the fall semester. Spring admission is best for students whose undergraduate degree is in a different academic discipline and require prerequisite coursework.
Applications for graduate study in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts (BECA) at San Francisco State University should be submitted through Cal State Apply. Required application materials include:
- A CV or resume
- Applicant's statement of purpose in pursuing the M.A. degree
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which should be from a former teacher
- A 500-word writing sample
- Transcripts of all previous college work. Applicants must upload legible unofficial copies of transcripts from each college or university attended. This includes study abroad coursework, or community college coursework, even if this coursework appears as transfer credit appears on your degree transcript. Full academic disclosure is required. Photographs or screenshots of transcripts will be rejected. An incomplete academic history will significantly delay the review of your application. The Division of Graduate Studies may request official transcripts from you at any point during the application review process. Applicants selected for admission will be required to submit official transcripts to the Division of Graduate Studies in order to secure your offer of admission.
- Current Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are encouraged, but not required. Scores must be submitted to both the University and the department. A minimum GRE Analytical Writing score of 4.5 is one method students may meet the department's Level One writing requirement
The Department of BECA Graduate Admissions Committee meets three times to review applications for the Fall semester:
- Applications that are completed by February 1 are considered in the first round of reviews.
- If seats remain available in the program, the committee will consider applicants who complete their applications by March 1.
- During the final meeting, the Graduate Admissions Committee will consider applicants who complete their applications by April 15.
Applications for the spring semester are due on October 15. These applicants are notified about the department's recommendation for their admission in November.
Although undergraduate preparation in media or communication is desirable, students from other academic disciplines who have demonstrated an interest in the electronic media are encouraged to apply. Students with different academic backgrounds may be required to take up to 14 units of undergraduate courses as prerequisites. Prerequisite coursework will be determined upon consultation with the graduate coordinator.